Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is constantly licking s lips and is salivating more

Customer Question

My dog is constantly licking his lips and is salivating more than normal. I am trying to figure out why.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jamie,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems to not be licking quite as often as he was earlier.

Hello again Jamie,

Sorry to hear Kohle is uncomfortable however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Excess salivation and it's related lip licking is something which most small animals vets will see from time to time in their consulting rooms. Usually this is not so serious but while I cannot 100% diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following ...

There are quite a few causes of excess salivation in the dog, some are trivial and will pass quickly such as your Doberman picking up a toad or frog in his mouth, others are more serious and will require veterinary attention. Until you know what the cause is then there will be no real way to stop it, if the salivation does not quickly start to pass or your dog deteriorates then you should consult your vet without delay.

That said if I wanted to make a list of what could possibly cause excess salivation { ptyalism } in the dog based on my past experience it would be as follows :

1. A foreign body like a stick or fish hook stuck in the mouth or throat.

2. Ulcers or wounds in the mouth.

3. Poisons, like chewing wood with old lead paint on it, certain plants in the garden, chemicals from the environment.

4. Infections, bacterial or viral centered in the mouth, throat or salivary gland.

5. Salivary gland defects such as sialoceles.

6. It is very rare but cancers of the mouth and throat are possible.

My advice : Open his mouth and look in carefully using a torch or carry this out in an area with good lighting. Look for foreign objects like bits of stick or chicken bone stuck in there, do not forget the roof of the mouth. Also look for any signs of ulceration, if you find nothing obvious in there then have a think about poisons or chemicals etc. in the environment.

I have to tell you that I have seen a number of cases of excess salivation where I have not been able to determine a cause but they have slowly resolved over a couple of days without intervention or treatment.

Here is a link to a web page which covers this subject so you can research it in depth : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Jamie,

I am just checking back in to see how Kohle is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his excess salivation ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kohle. How is everything going?