Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dogs ear is swollen. What could it be?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 year ago via Vet.com.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Where exactly is it swollen, the pinnae (floppy part)?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the floppy part and I really don't know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the answer
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response. For some reason your answer to my questions did not post until now.

In response to your questions, the swelling you are seeing is called an "Aural Hematoma." This when the pinnae (floppy part of the ear) becomes filled with blood secondary to damage to the vessels as a result of any form of trauma. A very common cause is when the patient shakes their head in response to an ear infection. Treatment involves draining the blood and leaving a drain in place for the blood to drain. If the hematoma is not treated the body will eventually reabsorb the blood but the ear may become disfigured (cauliflower like). This is not a life threatening condition, but, should be seen by your family veterinarian for drain placement.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter