Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 10 month old border collie might have swallowed some

Customer Question

my 10 month old border collie might have swallowed some glass, not sure. She destroyed the lights strand on out Christmas tree, pieces and glass all over the floor. What should I look for to see if she did? I checked he mouth and no bleeding or sign that she was cut.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now in this situation, we do need to tread with care.

If you were sure she had ingested it (or pretty sure), then it'd be ideal to have her to the local ER vet so that they can use an endoscope (a scope with a camera) to remove any glass in the stomach before it can cause any harm to the stomach or intestines.

Otherwise, if we aren't sure, then we will want to keep a close eye on her while using some supportive care to try and reduce her risk here. To start, signs we want to keep an eye out for are any belly tenderness or pain, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood or brown material like coffee grounds (digested blood) in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible glass trauma in the gut and would need her seen urgently by your vet.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** preventative measures we can start just now, I would suggest feeding her a "Vaseline sandwich." To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces. I know it will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits of glass and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. In the case of the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage.

Afterwards,we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg)for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage any glass she may have eaten to pass safely while we keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that she has either didn't eat any or passed the material without bother.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )