Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a small dog she won't eat anything what can I do.

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Lucky been refusing her food?

Will she drink?

Has she had any drooling, grass eating, retching, gagging, vomiting, or lip licking?

Any changes to her breathing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants,chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About two weeks, she drinks, I have not noticed any change in breathing, yes she eats grass and licks her lips, her gums are pink, no, I don' think so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am and in the midst of typing my full reply.

I will post it shortly,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience, as I am sure you can tell I had quite a bit to type about Lucky.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see anorexia in dogs for a range of reasons. Now I am glad to hear that she has no breathing issues and that its unlikely she has eaten anything that could be causing her GI harm. Though I have to say that her lip licking and grass eating do suggest that underlying nausea is at the root of her situation. And in that case, we'd be most concerned about a possible lingering infection (bacterial, viral, parasites,etc), pancreatitis, inflammatory GI disease (ie IBD), stomach ulcers, or a possible dietary indiscretion.

With all this in mind, we do want to tread with care if she hasn't been eating properly for so long already. Still, I would note some supportive care you can try to see if you can tempt her back to eating for us. To start, I would note that we can try counter nausea with an antacid. Common pet safe options we could use include:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

If she is more settled once she has had one of those, we'd then want to tempt her to eat (as I know you have). Favorites are allowed but also try her with a light/easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish,cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

If she refuses to be tempted, since she isn't vomiting, we can consider syringe feeding here. To do so, we often use calorie rich diets like Hills A/D or Royal Canin Recovery diet which are OTC at most vets. Or since she is drinking, you could alternatively try a liquid diet like Dogsure or Clinicare. And I would note that in a pinch, we can even offer water down puppy food. And if she isn't keen to eat any on her own, these all can again be used for syringe feeding to get some nutrition into her (and a little does go a long way with these).

Overall, we do have some real concerns for a young dog fasting for this period of time. Still, her subtle signs hint at nausea even without vomiting. Therefore, I would suggest the above supportive care just now to see if we can soothe that tummy and get some nutrition into her. Of course, if she doesn't settle and still refuses despite these, then we'd want to plan to have a check with her vet at that point. They can have a feel of her to make sure nothing is in her stomach that doesn't belong there, rule out fever, or sinister viruses. And depending on their findings, they can use injectable anti-nausea and appetite stimulating medication +/- antibiotics if needed to get her back on track and eating properly for us.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best for Lucky,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )