Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I need advice on how to raise my dog on a vegan diet, I have

Customer Question
read many articles saying that...
I need advice on how to raise my dog on a vegan diet, I have read many articles saying that it is real and possible, so if you know about this and can give me good advice please respond to this question, if you are somehow against a dog going vegan DO
NOT ANSWER this question.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about providing your dog with a vegan diet. You can rest assured I am not anti-vegan, and I'm glad you're looking for the information you need. I live in a very health-conscious area, and many of my clients have the same desire but don't bother to get informed, and --- as a result --- I see a lot of health issues in their dogs.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

....

.

Hi Dr Jo, I did not know this was a live chat, sorry to miss the session??
Are you online now?
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gene, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian

Hi there!

When thinking of what diet to feed your dog, vegan or not, you have basically two options - commercial dog food or home made. Generally speaking, commercial is often preferred for a few reasons: (a) easier, (b) usually less expensive, depending on brand and source of other ingredients, (c) more likely to be nutritionally complete.

a. A commercial diet is easy - you buy it and feed it, no need to shop for ingredients, calculate amounts, measure and prepare; no additional supplies needed, other than a measuring cup and a food bowl. There are several formulations of vegan/vegetarian diets for dogs, one good one is Royal Canin Vegetarian formula (which I believe is completely vegan) - http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/Veterinary-Products/Canine-Nutrition/Veterinary-Therapeutic-Formulas/Vegetarian

b. The cost varies, of course, but many home made diets maybe more expensive depending on the ingredients you choose, plus, you figure in the cost of making the meals in terms of effort/time.

c. Home made diets work well for many dogs, but the most important thing to consider is that it is very difficult to make up a nutritionally complete dog diet using human ingredients; studies have shown that recipes obtained in books, online and even those made up by veterinarians often contain deficiencies and excesses of nutrients. In addition, something called diet drift can occur, when you gradually, over time, substitute ingredients with others made by different companies, etc., which leads to deviation from original recipe and thus potential for imbalance.
So, the best way to ensure you are feeding a nutritionally complete home made diet for your dog is to contact a veterinary nutritionist and have them make up a recipe based on your dog's individual variables. One good resource is http://www.balanceit.com which is a website for the University of California Davis Veterinary Nutrition Service. Another resource that provides information on diets in general is http://www.petdiets.com

Hope this helps!!

Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian