Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Thank goodness! my name is ***** *****. My great pyrenees

Customer Question

Customer: Thank goodness! my name is ***** *****. My great pyrenees pup (about 6 months old) just ate an entire box of Black Thunder Celestial Seasonings tea (black tea with mate and there were 18 tea sachets in the box) and i'm panicking. please help me, i'm not sure what to do.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes, i was in the shower and he was out in the living room alone. when i returned to find him i just found the box and ALL of the tea bags eaten.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long is a bit? i need to find out if this is an emergency as SOON as possible as it happened about a two hours ago.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you stil need help. There are two concerns in this case. The first concern is the caffeine content in the tea. Dogs will become agitated and might shake and tremor if more than 9 mg/lb of caffeine is ingested. Black teas, however, contain variable amounts of caffeine and it would be next to impossible to know how much the pup truly ingested. If he has remained normal, he didn't ingest enough to become intoxicated by caffeine. The second concern is the amount of tea bags and strings that now need to pass through his GI tract. A 6 month old Pyrenees is likely to be able to pass those objects unaided but you need to watch for the signs of GI obstruction such as persistent vomiting and anorexia. Please give me an update on your pup.