Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a puppie that is 7mos old she eats every thing in

Customer Question
site but this time is...
I have a puppie that is 7mos old she eats every thing in site but this time is different she vomited 4 times in a 6hr period she is kinda quite but playful just not as rampbuckous as usual she vomited all her food up from this morning it was not digested it was whole put she does eat like shes never going to get another meal. this started about 2hrs after last meal also she had gotten ahold of one of my pills that i had in my pocket of a sweater that was hanging up it was a 800mg /with famitine tab i got most of it but it looks like she got about maybe half of it. is this all normal should i be worried or will nature run its course.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your puppy is vomiting and possibly ate some of your medication.

First, what was the name of the medications that she ate? What was 800mg? How much famotidine was there?

Next, how is she acting now, after eating the pills? Any more vomiting?

Since she is vomiting, I am concerned that she may have eaten something that could be stuck in her stomach or intestines.

Here are my recommendations for home care for a vomiting dog:

-First take away the water. Dogs will often drink excessively after vomiting and this will only irritate their stomachs more. A dog should stop vomiting fairly quickly once you remove the water. Once they are done vomiting for 4 hours, you can offer very small (1/2 cup) amounts of water once every 30 minutes for the rest of the evening.

-If the night is quiet after just having small sips of water, you can offer a bland diet in the morning such as boiled chicken and rice.

You will need to take your dog to the local animal emergency room this evening if you see any of the following symptoms-

Continued vomiting even after you remove the water

Dry heaving

Distended or painful abdomen

Vomit with blood

Diarrhea with blood

You will need to take your dog to your regular vet in the morning if they don’t want to eat or drink or if they develop diarrhea.

Please let me know what medications she ate so I can let you know if they are toxic or not.

Also, do you have any more questions?

Good luck to you and your pup!

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Good morning!

How is your puppy this morning? Did the vomiting stop? Is she eating and drinking this morning?

Also, if you would please consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. A

How is your puppy this evening? Any more vomiting or is she back to normal? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian