Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Natural beef femur. Mammoth bone. Ok. I gave this to my shi

Customer Question

Natural beef femur. Mammoth bone. Ok. I gave this to my shi tzu. Let him play with it and naw for about 30 minutes. 2 hours ago. Took it away as I thought he had too much. He just threw up quite a bit of foamy clear vomit with lots of "meat" particles.
Seems a little listless right now not 100% unusual thoughts? I am guessing he has a stomach ache. Anything to be concerned and what should we watch for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Oakley is not feeling well tonight. I would worry that the bone caused irritation to his stomach. It could just be irritation, but we also have to think about possible food poisoning.

For tonight the best way to treat vomiting at home is to do the following-

-First take away the water. Dogs will often drink excessively after vomiting and this will only irritate their stomachs more. A dog should stop vomiting fairly quickly once you remove the water. Once they are done vomiting for 4 hours, you can offer very small (1/2 cup) amounts of water once every 30 minutes for the rest of the evening.

-If the night is quiet after just having small sips of water, you can offer a bland diet in the morning such as boiled chicken and rice.

You will need to take your dog to the local animal emergency room this evening if you see any of the following symptoms-

Continued vomiting even after you remove the water

Dry heaving

Distended or painful abdomen

Vomit with blood

Diarrhea with blood

You will need to take your dog to your regular vet in the morning if they don’t want to eat or drink or if they develop diarrhea.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Oakley this evening? Is his energy level back to normal? Any more vomiting? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda