Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is very snotty and chesty i have some penicilin vk 500mg

Customer Question
would these help him ?...
my dog is very snotty and chesty i have some penicilin vk 500mg would these help him ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello Natalie, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

hi dr scott , email is fine for me :D

Hello again Natalie Sorry to hear Whippy is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you ... 1. Given the symptoms you describe it is very possible that a weeks course of an antibiotic could be of use to your dog, while not used so much in dogs now VK Penicillin could still be effective. A suitable dose rate would be between 10 to 15 mg of the drug per pound of your dog's bodyweight given three times a day for a five to seven day period. 2. Paracetamol is not a very good drug for dogs and is usually avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity. In fact there is only one human over the counter painkiller which is in any way suitable for dogs and this is Aspirin. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINKI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Natalie,I am just checking back in to see how Whippy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his respiratory problems.How are things going?Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian