DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

I have two one year old dogs, roughly 45 pounds each, that

Customer Question

I have two one year old dogs, roughly 45 pounds each, that ingested about 2 ounces of A&D with zinc ointment sometime within the last 4 hours. I'm fairly sure they vomited most of it. Can you tell me how serious this toxicity is for them.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.The zinc in the diaper rash cream is very irritating to the GI tract...as you are seeing. Its good that they have vomited most of it out as that limits how much zinc is absorbed by the body. With their larger size, I doubt they ate enough to cause any serious toxicity but they will likely continue to vomit on and off for the next few hours. You can try giving some Pepcid AC - 15 mg per dog to settle the stomach. Do not give any food right now. If the vomiting has subsided in about 4 hours, you can try to feed a small amount of wetted down dog food or some boiled boneless skinless chicken breast (maybe 1/4 cup) and see if they can hold it down. If they are keeping food and water down, continue to feed small meals every 3 hours or so through the next 24 hours (plus give the pepcid 2 times per day). If the vomiting continues or they can not keep food and water down once you try to feed them, then get to the vet right away. They will get dehydrated overnight if they are not able to have water this evening. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was helpful. Do you have any further questions?

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alida,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Phoebe And Zoe. How is everything going?
DrMelJ