Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog broke her clavicle. Now she is in an immobilizer, but

Customer Question
the vet said that surgery...
My dog broke her clavicle. Now she is in an immobilizer, but the vet said that surgery is the more " permanent solution". Am I risking my dog's ambulation by waiting? What are the risks of surgery? What is the recovery time?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry your poor dog is in this position. Generally any time we "wait" for surgery two things happen that dimminish her recovery. The first is the muscles contract making the surgery much more difficult and second the longer we wait the more chances of arthritis forming and lack of flexibility to take hold, this effect is worsened by the immobilization.

There is always a risk of surgery and th emost common are anesthetic complications, infection, suture rejection and the sugery site not accepting the repair that was done and breaking apart again.

Finally the recovery time is only a generality since a lot of healing has to do with where on the bone the break is, but in a dog of 8yrs of age (older animals heal a bit slower) the recovery time is likely 4-8 weeks.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian