Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Was in heat with discharge. the last two days wont eat or

Customer Question
hardly move.just sleeps doesnt even...
was in heat with discharge. the last two days wont eat or hardly move.just sleeps doesnt even want to play and she usually loves too
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Is there any vaginal discharge at this time?

Is she still drinking and urinating? Is it increased or decreased?

slight vaginal discharge. yes drinking and urinating but decreased greatly

Ok thanks.

I would worry about your dog having a Pyometra. This is an infection of the uterus. It usually occurs in the 1-2 months after a heat cycle. They will have a vaginal discharge that is purulent. They will also have a fever, decreased appetite and lethargy. Sometimes we'll also see an increase in thirst/ urination. It depends how sick they are as to what signs we see.

This is a surgical emergency. It requires an emergency spay to be performed. I prefer to have the surgery done within 24 hours of the signs starting. That gives the best chance of survival. I would go to a vet so they can check for a Pyometra with an x-ray or ultrasound. If it's present, then off to surgery. If not, then they may be able to treat symptomatically with fluids, antibiotics and appetite stimulants. It sure does sound like a Pyo, though.

Here is a nice handout on the condition to read over:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=603

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions .

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian