Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 5 year old Havenese keeps licking her and just above it.

Customer Question

My 5 year old Havenese keeps licking her butt and just above it. She has it all red. I thought it might be allergies. I have been giving her her allergy meds but with no luck. We did get another puppy three months ago. They get along Ok except he wants to play all the time and she doesn't. I was thinking this could be stress. What do you think and what should I do. Thank you. ***** ***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Zoe's situation. This may have started as an allergy situation. It sounds like it has progressed though to a mild dermatitis in that area. These situations are ones that respond well to a short course of oral antibiotics for a secondary bacterial infection. My best recommendation is to have her seen by your vet so they can check to make sure the anal glands aren't a part of the problem. They can then start up antibiotics and most likely a collar so it will be a barrier to keep her from kicking it. This may be important for a short period of time to let the irritation resolve.