Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We have taken a rottweiler female 3yrs old from a friend but

Customer Question

We have taken a rottweiler female 3yrs old from a friend but she is in poor condition ahe is very thin u can see her ribs and her hip joints what can we do to get her back to good condition?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If she is underweight, has poor conditioning, and potentially reduced muscle tone; then we'd want to consider putting her on a good quality puppy food. The reason is because this will have more fat/calories/protein then normal dog food and this will give her body more resources to work with in restoring her weight and overall condition. Of course, if there is any history of her being underfed or starved, be aware that you need to gradually increase the volume of what you feed (due to stomach shrinkage and to avoid shocking the body with a sudden influx of electrolytes). In those cases, we often feed small frequent meals starting at ~50% of her calorie needs (based on the food label and her current weight) and then working it up over the following days to get her to her ideal.

Otherwise, if she is in a poor state, it'd be ideal to start her on a dog specific vitamin supplement which can be found OTC at many pet stores, vets, and online. Those with essential fatty acids can also be good for coat/skin health. And finally, we'd want to make sure she is up to date on worming (a common source of weight loss at her age) which you can again get OTC provided you have a weight for her (so you know how much to dose).

Overall, Lucky sounds lucky to be in your care. And from here on out, we'd want to use the above to help her body overcome this recent stress, get some weight back on her, and help her regain her proper condition.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. If you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button withthe issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)