Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 2.3 lb Yorkie has had diarrhea ( watery) past 15 hours.

Customer Question
My 2.3 lb Yorkie has...
My 2.3 lb Yorkie has had diarrhea (brown watery) for the past 15 hours. She started about 5 am today. She was fine when I left her to take Mom to chemo at 1 pm. I assumed the 5 am diarrhea was a 1-time thing. I just got home & found that she had torn up
the outside plastic trash liner & the outer edges of her pee pad, which is completely out of character. I found throw-up with pieces of plastic in it. She also had more diarrhea on a pee pad plus in her bedding. She just now had more diarrhea plus throwing
up, this time with brown pieces, & has been moaning since I got home, which was about 45 minutes ago. Also, I found what looked like a piece of a candied pecan stuck on her nose! Btw, I left her with a broader last Wednesday & I picked her up yesterday morning.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
URGENT!!!
She keeps passing blood. We timeline below:
My 2.3 lb Yorkie has had diarrhea for the past 15 hours. She started about 5 am today. She was fine when I left her to take Mom to chemo at 1 pm. I assumed the 5 am diarrhea was a 1-time thing.
7 pm
I just got home & found that she had torn up the outside plastic trash liner & the outer edges of her pee pad. I found throw-up with pieces of plastic in it. She also had more diarrhea on a pee pad plus in her bedding.
7:30 pm
She just now had more diarrhea & has been moaning since I got home, which was about 30 minutes ago.
9 pm
She is still throwing up with diarrhea.
9:30 pm
She is passing bloody diarrhea.
9:49 pm
Now she is passing straight blood.
10:30 pm
She has passed blood, which seems a large amount for her, TWO MORE times.Btw, I left her with a broader last Wednesday & I picked her up yesterday morning.
12/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 year ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize the expert you requested is not available to chat with you.

I am so sorry Lollie is experiencing this. Anytime in this breed we have profuse watery diarrhea that becomes very bloody, this is an indication this has progressed to an emergency situation. It may be related to the ingestion of the unusual items and one could be trapped in his digestive tract. OR, she could be developing hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which is an emergency situation that causes severe dehydration and blood loss. Or, she could have profound pancreatitis which also can become painful and life-threatening.

The absolute best step for you to take with her is to have her seen on emergency right away. Until you do that I can give you a few hints on what to try at home, but please be aware this does not replace her need to be seen by a veterinarian on emergency. If she was my patient and you were unable to get her in right now, then I might recommend you try:

1) Hydrate her with an infant electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte.

2) Offer her a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. You may use cottage cheese instead of chicken. But none of her regular food right now.

2) Give famotidine 10mg at 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Peptobismol liquid: Give 1 ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

4) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified