Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Once week I see a bit of blood in my 8 yo. Papillon's urine.

Customer Question

Hi - once week I see a bit of blood in my 8 yo. Papillon's urine. She completed a 10-day course of amoxicillin. She has cranberry extract in her water. She takes arnica Montana for itching. She has fresh crushed garlic for fleas. 9 of 10 urinations are completely clear. She is very lively. Neutered
Im puzzled.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I am currently unable to make a live phone call I am sorry. But, I will be glad to discuss this on this thread.

In response to your quetion, bloody urine in a female dog can be caused by: Urinary tract infections, bladder stones, tumors or even part of a systemic disease. The fact that she was treated with Amoxicillin and the problem continues it is possible that if this is related to an infection the underlying bacteria could be resistant to the Amoxicillin.

I would recommend you discuss with your vet about doing xrays to rule out bladder stones. In addition, doing a urine culture & sensitivity (C&S); this test will isolate the underlying bacteria and provide a list of antibiotics that could be used specifically for that bacteria.

Finally, garlic is toxic to dogs; it will cause damage to the red blood cells leading to anemia. I would recommend you discontinue the use of garlic. Discuss with your vet about doing some blood work to make certain the blood urine is not related to something going on systemically.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused. I know many users who give their dogs garlic weekly. Trifexis, etc., per the vet, are harsh and contain toxic chemicals. I'll agree with amoxicillin resistance. The cranberry concentrate seems to be working. And the traces of blood are very intermittent. Always in the morning urination. For flea control, what do you recommend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've tried Revolution. It worked. I check her for fleas daily. We use a very mild shampoo from the very. She's bathed weekly. No fleas are visible in the rinse eater.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Water*
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I we do know that garlic damages the red blood cells in dogs leading to hemolytic anemia. I would recommend you use something like Frontline which is very safe for flea prevention. Please read the article below regarding garlic.

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Garlic-Toxicity-and-Pets.aspx

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Nicholas John Koulianos. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter