Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My name is ***** *****, my dog had its regular 1 1/2 of dog

Customer Question
Customer: my name is *****...
Customer: my name is ***** ***** , my dog had its regular 1 1/2 of dog food about 6 hrs ago and threw up about a hour ago and there were peanuts mixed in with her puke ??? should i be worried she seemes upset , wanting to go walking its 2am very odd for her? she is 7 years old .black lab in very good health.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: iam worried about what she ate , i also think she ate a couple leather chewy bones about size of my middle finger , i never give her any ,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Mark,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Mark

I have worked out an answer for you ...

Peanuts are not toxic to dogs so no problem there, but vomiting for various causes is actually very common in the dog and often not such a serious situation. But this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. The other symptoms you are seeing could also fit in with this. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water an dis taking it on a regular basis.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a couple of table spoons twice a day is fine for an average sized Lab.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Mark,

I am just checking back in to see how your Lab is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her vomiting ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian