Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Sorry to bother anyone but I have a pug that is neutered, he

Customer Question

Sorry to bother anyone but I have a pug that is neutered, he has low thyroid count and is on soloxine 2 mg twice a day, he is like 33 lbs feed him once a day with diet food. Been months on this and he isn't losing any weight. Talked to the vet and I keep being blamed but I swear he eats about 12 oz to 14 oz a day. He is breathing hard and swelling up think he is getting bigger. Just worried not getting all info. Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Max. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Has a blood test been done since starting him on soloxine to see if the dose of .2 mg twice daily is not too much or too little?

Are you talking about 12 to 14 oz of dry dog food? About 1 1/2 cups? I would feed a Pug that should weigh around 22 to 27 pounds 1/2 cup twice daily and no table food or treats.

Were any other blood tests done besides the test of his thyroid level? There are other hormone conditions such as Cushing's disease that could cause weight gain despite being on a diet.

Let me know what other questions you have. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows to credit me for helping you. Please do let me know how else I can be of help. You can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?