Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I just adopted a 7 year old chihuahua and she appears to

Customer Question

Customer: I just adopted a 7 year old chihuahua and she appears to have a blackish gunk in her eye and she is squinting a little - what do I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Her eye is not running, but the gunk is present in her eye and it moves around so its not in the corners of her eye
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with your Chihuahua. Her blepherospasm (squinting) and mucus/tear/pus/debris ("gunk") represent a painful condition that needs to clarified and suscessfully treated by her vet for those symptoms to abate. Under good lighting and magnification, I might find a conjunctivitis (follicular, allergic, infectious), a keratitis (inflammation of her cornea), misplaced eyelashes that are irritating her cornea (the clear window of her eye), atretic (poorly formed), missing, or blocked tear ducts, a dacryocystitis (infection of the lacrimal (tear) apparatus), and even disorders within the globe of her eye.

It's best to have eye(s) attended to promptly because they "can go south" in a hurry! Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.