Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm looking about my pug's recent weird behavior. He just

Customer Question
Hi! I'm looking for answers...
Hi! I'm looking for answers about my pug's recent weird behavior. He just got neutered early November. During that same surgery, he had a growth removed from his left eye and his right eye on the eyelids. And he also had an abscess fixed in his mouth.
He doesn't seem to have complications from the surgery, but ever since, he's been randomly freaking out in the middle of the night. He'll cry and quietly whine and start to shake all over, his heart will race, and no matter what I do or how much I cuddle, he's just restless and will continue to cry. The only cure I've found is to firmly tell him "SHUT UP" and then it all just stops! Heart rate normal again and he instantly stops crying. He's been driving my boyfriend insane, though. The only way he can get him to stop crying is by turning on a dim light for him. Before the surgery, he's NEVER acted this way. I'm very concerned that these weird panic attacks might kill him because he does have a slight heart palpitation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

First, let me reassure you that dogs do not have heart attacks like humans do, so that is not a concern. To me, this sounds like a neurologic issue. Humans have something called Sundowners Syndrome, and it is basically dementia that happens at night. It is often associated with anxiety and insomnia. This could be incidental... your dog could just be getting old, and it just happens that it started after the surgery. Or, it is possible the surgery could have been hard on his brain and caused a blood clot or an area of hypoxia (low oxygen) in the brain that is now causing this issue (anesthesia is always slightly riskier in a geriatric dog). I would ask your veterinarian about possible prescribing some Xanax or Valium to see if that helps, and then go from there. If it does not help, you may consider referral to a neurologist for an MRI or cerebrospinal fluid tap to see what is going on.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Hi Allison,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rudy. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian