Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

It is free?
, i have a who had puppies 20 days ago and

Customer Question
Customer: hi my name is...
Customer: hi my name is ***** ***** is free?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have a bitch who had puppies 20 days ago and since about 4 days she has diarrhea ,but she is acting normal eat drink ,so i give her probiotic and made her a meal with chicken rice and pumpkin but i noticed that her milk production has decrease
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I just came online and saw your question. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How is she doing now? Do you still need help with her?

If you check her gums, are they pink in color, or do her gums seem pale?

Has she been tested for parasites recently, by examining a stool sample under a microscope? Most parasites are too small to be seen by the naked eye.

This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question. Rebecca

How is she doing today?

Hi Rebecca thank you for your answer ,she is doing well she dont have the diarrhea anymore ,my concern was more cause her milk production decreased she have 6 puppies 21 days old

How can you tell the milk production is decreased? Are the puppies going hungry, crying to be fed?

the puppies had the same weight monday night and tuesday morning

That is not unusual for the pups to weigh the same overnight. Do you have a gram scale to be really accurate?

If they are nursing, and not just crying and trying to nurse, it sounds like she is making enough milk. If you squeeze on each nipple, and milk comes out, it sounds like she is still making milk.

If you are really worried, you can supplement the pups with a puppy milk replacer and bottle feed them once or twice a day.

Good that the diarrhea is better. Diarrhea causes loss of body fluid, and that can reduce milk production temporarily but if the diarrhea has stopped, she should go back to putting her fluids from her body into the milk.

How are the puppies and your dog doing? Are the puppies putting on weight now?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian