Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My nine year old dog has had an allergic reaction to

Customer Question
Hi there, My nine year old...
Hi there,
My nine year old dog has had an allergic reaction to something she encountered on a walk yesterday. Started with swollen eyes and muzzle, now she has raised bumps and redden skin all over. Eating/drinking, but not very happy. We gave her benadryl last night (2 doses) which I am not sure worked. I have prescription prednisone (20 mg) tablets here at the house. Can I give her a dose, how much? She weighs about 40 pounds.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would just note that if she is 40lbs, she can have a Benadryl dose between 20-80mg every 8 hours. So, if you have been giving less then that or the low end of the dose, you can try adjusting that first. Otherwise, you can use Prednisone as long as she is eating and has no signs of stomach upset. In regards ***** ***** we'd only use half of the 20mg tablet (10mg) for a 40lb dog every 12 hours after food. If she doesn't start to settle with those, then we'd need to consider seeing her local vet for injectable steroid treatment if need be.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian