Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was diagnosed with kidney disease. Put on KD diet And

Customer Question

Hi, my dog was diagnosed with kidney disease. Put on KD diet And Iv fluids at home 3x a week. He did great the first week, ate 3 bowls a day.i added carrots and black beans. Went back for blood work. Kidney are responding really well. Numbers went way down but liver numbers got worse. He's not been eating much now. I have resorted to syringe feeding. He'll data little but has become super picky and not drinking much water either. Help, I don't know what to do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, if Maverick's liver is starting to struggle, you will want to speak to his vet about liver supportive treatments (ie Denamarin, Milk Thistle, SAM-E,etc). Otherwise, in situations like this, we do often treat symptomatically. Since appetite loss in animals with organ dysfunction tends to be related to nausea from toxin build up (which the fluids will help with this), we can find the use of antacids and anti-nausea medication to be of benefit. Therefore, you could at least start him with an antacid like Pepcid, Zantac, or Omeprazole. Otherwise, if he is really fussy, we may need to consider strong anti-nausea medications like injectable or dispense oral Cerenia, Metoclopramide or Zofran/Ondansetron. As well, these dogs can also benefit from the use of appetite stimulants (ie
Normal
0
Mertazipine/mirtazapine). So, those would be option to discuss with his vet to support the liver but also try to get him back to eating for you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm already doing the denamarin and antacid
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

In that case, you are doing the most one can for the liver, Though if he isn't eating well despite the antacid, then that is a strong indication that we need to be using one of those strong anti-nausea treatments and an appetite stimulant to keep him from wasting away here.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been syringe feeding since Friday. Antacids Saturday denamarin a week
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am glad that you are syringing feeding to keep his nutrition up. Still if he's struggling a week into treatment we'd want to ring his vet about those stronger options I noted. We are better off being proactive as soon as possible then letting him risk any weight loss or letting this linger for him.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Antacids have been 2 days not a week
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Fair enough, it is early days for those. So, you can give them another 24-48 hours to have an effect before using something stronger.

Dr. B.