Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 9 year old boxer that cant walk with s back legs

Customer Question
I have a 9 year...
I have a 9 year old boxer that cant walk with his back legs anymore what can I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

I am sorry to hear about Clyde. I will wait for you reply so I know we are connected.

hello there
what can I do for him

So, here's my main concern.

We need to differentiate if this inability is more spinal related, like a disc herniation that is impact our function of the hindlegs. Or, if it is more related to degenerative joint disease in the hips, knees, etc...

A good vet can easily do a general examination and a basic neurologic test or two to assess the function in the hindlegs.

If due to arthritic issues, than it is quite possible that Clyde could do substantially better on a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl or Metacam.

Mos vets would also start a pain mediation like Gabapentin or Tramadol to help out.

But, the key to your question is getting a good assessment done to see if the vet feels starting certain medications will have a chance to work or not.

Joint support supplements would be worthless for acute benefit as products with glucosamine/chondrotin can take nearly 2 months to have some benefit.

Hope that information helps

Dr. Andy, Medical Director