Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 6yo golden Labrador who is developing arthritis in

Customer Question

I have a 6yo golden Labrador who is developing arthritis in her back knees, particularly her right knee. She weighs 36kg and is on Hills Joint Guard diet.
The vet recommends continuing the diet for a month and see how she progresses.
Anything you can recommend in terms of treatment and investigation.
She does not seem to be in pain and gets around pretty easily. JUst I noticed she seemed a bit stiff in the back when walking
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now if your vet has examined +/- xrayed Kayla's knees, then those would be our diagnostic options of choice already completed and we'd be able to appreciate the severity of her situation with these tests. We do sometimes scope the joints, but this wouldn't be necessary if we have a non-painful dog.

Once you have diagnosis, as you do here, the Hill's diet is a good place to start. Further to this, you could also consider supplementing her with joint supportive treatments like glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM or Duralactin. All are OTC from vets, pet stores, and online. So, those would be options you could use with the diet or instead of the diet (if she wasn't keen on it).

As well, it goes without saying, that keeping excess weight off and keeping good muscle tone is ideal in these situations. Therefore further to keeping her on a good nutritional plane, we'd want to consider low-impact exercise. With this in mind, a good option for this with our dogs is swimming. So, if Kayla likes water, swimming can be a great weight to keep her fit and keep her muscle mass strong to compensate for her joints over her life time.

Otherwise, you may want to speak to her vet about Cartrophen (More Info). This is an injectable treatment that can keep the joints healthy and slow degradation of the joint cartilage. Finally, while not necessary if she is pain-free and mobile at this point, we will want to keep dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) in our reserve for possible future use. These can be very good for keeping our dogs moving should the arthritis cause discomfort or impact their mobility in the future.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )