Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is unable to hold herself up she can barely walk this

Customer Question
just happened today she is...
My dog is unable to hold herself up she can barely walk this just happened today she is chihuahua 18 years old
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. At Dixi's advanced age there's likely to be more than one disorder existing concomitantly. Her weakness can result from any number of systemic disorders as well as geriatric weakness/osteoarthritis, myelopathy (spinal cord disorder), or encephalopathy (brain disorder) - all of which can present as you've described. Dixi will need an on-call vet to thoroughly examine her and perform diagnostics - blood and urine tests, X-rays/ultrasound - predicated upon the findings of her physical exam. It would be prudent to have her attended to at your earliest convenience. Dogs of her age don't have the reserve that much younger dogs have. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dixi. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian