Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My yorkie poo has vomited mucousy bile a couple times and

Customer Question

Customer: My yorkie poo has vomited mucousy bile a couple times and now had blood in her mucousy stool, she got in to some garbage I think my neighor left on the ground. What should I do? VET not opened tonight
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my 7 lb. 5 year old yorkie poo started acting like her stomach was bothering her after getting in to the neighbors yard and she threw up bilious like vomit and about an hour after that she had blood diarrhea and that was about an hour ago. This has never happened before
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's very difficult to medicate a vomiting patient orally if only because anything given by the route isn't likely to be retained. Your Yorkie's symptoms are consistent with garbage intoxication but also too many disorders - both primary gastrointestinal and systemic disorders that can affect the gastrointestinal tract - to list in this venue. It's best to fast these patients and have an on-call vet attend to your Yorkie at your earliest convenience. A thorough physical exam including blood and urine tests (including a specCPL blood test which is most specific for detecting the presence of acute pancreatitis) and abdominal X-rays or ultrasound should be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?