Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My yorkie poo has vomited mucousy bile a couple times and…

Customer Question
My yorkie poo has...

My yorkie poo has vomited mucousy bile a couple times and now had blood in her mucousy stool, she got in to some garbage I think my neighor left on the ground. What should I do? VET not opened tonight

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My 7 lb. 5 year old yorkie poo started acting like her stomach was bothering her after getting in to the neighbors yard and she threw up bilious like vomit and about an hour after that she had blood diarrhea and that was about an hour ago. This has never happened before

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's very difficult to medicate a vomiting patient orally if only because anything given by the route isn't likely to be retained. Your Yorkie's symptoms are consistent with garbage intoxication but also too many disorders - both primary gastrointestinal and systemic disorders that can affect the gastrointestinal tract - to list in this venue. It's best to fast these patients and have an on-call vet attend to your Yorkie at your earliest convenience. A thorough physical exam including blood and urine tests (including a specCPL blood test which is most specific for detecting the presence of acute pancreatitis) and abdominal X-rays or ultrasound should be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian