Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm Yael. I have a Maltese breed dog and she is 12 years

Customer Question
Hi, I'm Yael. I have...
Hi, I'm Yael. I have a Maltese breed dog and she is 12 years old. She woke up this morning licking and tremoring. I have her in my arms now holding her and have her wrapped up. She is still tremoring. I took her outside and let her walk around. I brought her back in and gave her a warm bath. Everything I give her water she licks quickly and walks away licking the floor and tremoring. I'm scared. I don't know what's going on.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.Is she able to walk normally?What color are her gums?Any vomiting?Is she eating?Do you notice any abnormal posturing?If you press into her abdomen from both sides is she painful or uncomfortable?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

She is walking normal, her gums are pink, she is eating and I pressed down on both sides of her abdomen and she didn't do anything. However, her posture is humped and her tail is lowered.

Thanks for the information. I want you to try one other thing for me.Support her abdomen with 1 hand and press down along her spine with the other. Any pain?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

It doesn't seem to bother her

Ignore that last post. It was for another customer and accidentally got put onto your question. I will be right with you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Ok

Thanks for the information. From your description, it sounds like she is painful somewhere. Even though you didn't get a pain response down the back, the hunched back and lowered tail suggest that she has pain in her back. It could be a muscular injury or herniated disk, and you may not get a pain response by pressing down on it if it is in a certain area. The licking may just be a stress response. It is possible that she may be a little nauseated as well, but with good appetite and not eating, that is probably not the case. It doesn't sound like an emergency situation to me, but I would keep an eye on her tonight. Keep her rested. If her condition worsens tonight, I would definitely have her seen by your nearest emergency vet. If she stays stable tonight but is not any better by tomorrow, I would consider having her seen. It is possible that she is painful elsewhere, but her symptoms suggest a back injury. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

can I give her something for pain?

Well, I don't normally recommend it because there isn't any over the counter human pain medication that is completely safe. In fact, they are all considered toxic except for enteric coated aspirin. Even then, it can cause some gastrointestinal bleeding in dogs, plus it could interfere with medication your vet may prescribe, so I don't normally recommend it. I usually recommend strict rest and a warm compress over the back first. Dosages for typical OTC medications are on the website below, but it is usually recommended to always to consult with your vet to make sure it is safe for your individual pet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian