Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

An unknown dog has shown up at our doorstep. He is very

Customer Question
An unknown dog has shown...
An unknown dog has shown up at our doorstep. He is very friendly, and is obviously accustomed to people. He has a horribly swollen spot on his backside that is bleeding a bit, and is being swarmed by flies. What should we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, are you keeping the dog? Is he allowed inside your house? It would be best to keep him inside because the flies can lay eggs in the wound which would lead to maggots. That would be bad. If you can not keep him inside I would call animal control to come pick him up.

Typing more...

If he is scratching, or licking, the spot you can give him human benadryl.

1 mg of benadryl, per each pound of dog, every 12 hours as needed.

Topically you can mix over the counter neosporin antibiotic cream and hydrocortisone cream 50:50.

Apply that 2-3 times a day. It is not toxic if he licks it off.

You can use this to keep flies off the wound

http://www.amazon.com/Flys-Off-5-Ounce-Fly-Repellent-Ointment/dp/B00028ZM3A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448742522&sr=8-2&keywords=wound+fly+repellent

How does that sound? Do you have any additional questions?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian