Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Second Opinion ) My 9-year old Golden Retriever has

Customer Question
Hypothyroidism since 2012...He has been...
Second Opinion ) My 9-year old Golden Retriever has Hypothyroidism since 2012...He has been taking Soloxine 0.5mg twice daily with excellent results...more energy, great looking coat; an all-around different dog. My current Vet has changed his medication
to Levocrine 0.5mg; he's been taking Levocrine for 3-weeks and he has developed " Bald Spots ", hair falling out, dragging his front paws and vomiting! His name is***** fully understand the variance between the two drugs; Drug Companies don't share
their formulas. Is Jake having a recurrence of Hypothyroidism requiring an increase in Levocrine Dosage? Or! Does he need to be back on the Soloxine? Jake is miserable and so are we.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I do think he is having a recurrance of hypothyroidism. This is very easy to verify by having the thyroid checked again. You are correct that there is variation between the two drugs and changing from one to the other may require a dose change. If the dose needs to be changed it would either require going back to the soloxine or adjusting the levocrine up or down based on the results of his thyroid test. My guess is that your vet is having the same problem as the rest of the country in that soloxine is on backorder with no return to market date in sight. So probably your best bet is to have the thyroid level rechecked and then the Levocrine dose adjusted accordingly. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan