Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 1/2 pug 1/2 Boston is 14.5 years old and has been

Customer Question

My 1/2 pug 1/2 Boston is 14.5 years old and has been incredibly healthy and happy until recently. He is loosing his hearing fast and I just noticed today that he is drinking a lot more water than usual, eating like he is starving and is acting disoriented and scared.He is fearless and this bothers me. Do you think the fact that I reconnected with my high school sweetheart after 40 years ( he moved in with me and he has 2 adorable black labs) and we made a major move all with in the last 6 months has something to do with it?Duh, right?Although Walter has been used to change his whole life could he be sick of it?
What do you think and suggest?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Unfortunately I don't think that this is simply a behavioral or conditional reaciton to a chang in his environment. Behavioral problems would be more likely to include, destroying property, biting people, barking, etc. Drinking a lot and acting disoriented is a physical symptom of disease not of mental stress. This could be diabetes, blood pressure problems, heart related issues and many other possibilities. I would suggest that we not wait any longer hoping it's a mental problem and have him see the vet for an examination and blood testing as soon as possible. All the conditions I mentioned have treatment but it is only effective if we start treating earlier rather than later. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan