Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My chihuahua back legs seem to pop in and out at the ankles

Customer Question

My chihuahua back legs seem to pop in and out at the ankles and knees and his hips joints look splade
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've described a Chihuahua who is likely to suffer from luxating patellas - dislocating kneecaps - which will cause the bandy-legged changes you're seeing. Buddy's vet needs to carefully palpate (feel) Buddy's stifles (knees) and while flexing and extending his legs will be able to tell if the patellas are moving around too much. If so, surgical correction is available. X-rays of both the stifles and hips are indicated to better understand Buddy's prognosis following surgery. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.