How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5542
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog has been diagnosed, after a routine checkup, with

Customer Question

My dog has been diagnosed, after a routine checkup, with cervical cancer. She is a 14 1/2 old Labrador never spayed, never bred. She is not in pain, has great appetite, plays and runs every day like a young dog. and urinates and defecates regularly and normally. The vet advised against surgery due to her age and told me to take her home and love her until she begins to be in pain or serious complications arise. I consulted another veterinarian who could not feel her cervix (short fingers) but found a large mass with nodules closer to the entrance of the vagina. She's found no cancer in the lungs and has taken a sample of the tumor mass to send in for a biopsy. She said the dog can be operated on relatively safely. Do you think I should go ahead with the surgery? What about the first vet's diagnosis? If there is cervical cancer, what good would it do to operate on the vaginal tumor?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

It is not unreasonable to think about surgery in a dog her age. As long as she is doing well otherwise (and it sure sounds like she is!), age itself is not a reason to rule out surgery.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

I would start by waiting on the biopsy results. This may help us get a better idea of prognosis with surgery. If it is a benign mass, then surgery would be very reasonable. Since the second vet was unable to confirm the possibility of a cervical mass, I would consider one of two things. You can either go ahead with exploratory surgery, or you can take an intermediate step and have abdominal ultrasound completed prior to surgery. Ultrasound could hopefully confirm if there is in fact a mass at her cervix, and allow for better planning prior to surgery.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Do you know how long ago the biopsy was sent to the lab?