Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a dog that has been bitten by something while hunting

Customer Question

I have a dog that has been bitten by something while hunting between toes on back paw and i took him to the vet and they gave him anti inflammatory, meds and antibiotics for an infection. with a collier to prevent licking wound . He found a work around. Can I wrap blister type wound with something and still use collar?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Cooper.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad you're committed to using the E-collar... good for you! It's also not surprising that Cooper has found a way around it. Applying a dressing to the wound while still leaving the collar on sounds like a great way to handle this problem. You'll just need to make sure you observe some fundamental principles of good bandaging:

• make sure the bandage stays clean and dry
  • change the bandage at least once daily
  • change the bandage any time it becomes soiled or wet
  • make sure the bandage isn't too tight
  • make sure the bandage isn't air tight

These things are important because an improperly applied or poorly cared-for bandage can do more harm than good.

I do hope this information is helpful to you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

(rating option enabled)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how Cooper is doing.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo