Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My giant 150 pound saint jumped on my older 11 yr 60 pound

Customer Question
lab mix. This was not...
My giant 150 pound saint jumped on my older 11 yr 60 pound lab mix. This was not normal occurrence. He seemed not to have any adverse reactions until about 20 minutes later now his back leg is stiff he seems sore and can not sit. He can lay and walk. My vet is not open till the morning. The lab has a history of idiopathic lameness and about every test in the world has been done on him. He has Prednisone for bad days but has not had any for a couple of months. I have no way to take him anywhere tonight so I am asking if giving him a 20mg dose of prednisone can cause any harm? He is alert and will get up from laying for a treat. No swelling seems to be occurring either
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was notanswered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. Still, I did want to let you know that as long as he will eat before you give it (since we don't want to give steroids on an empty stomach), you can give the Prednisone just now to try and reduce the inflammation and discomfort for him. This can be used up to every 12 hours until he sees his vet when they are open. While doing so, do make sure to keep him rested and comfortable. And of course, do let his vet know that you have given this as they will need to choose any further treatments based on this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?
nekovet

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian