Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

4 month old puppy is ocassionally vomiteing bile, normal

Customer Question
poop, no temp, lethargic, lack...
4 month old puppy is ocassionally vomiteing bile, normal poop, no temp, lethargic, lack of appetite, will drink water
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your pup. Any time I see a young dog like this vomiting and not wanting to eat I worry very much about a foreign body obstruction- meaning did they eat some object or cloth that has gotten stuck in the digestive tract. I also worry about Parvo virus although with that disease we usually see diarrhea as well. For your pup, I would highly recommend getting him in for an X-ray to see if there is evidence of a foreign object.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has normal poops,can that still occur with a blockage
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he is current on his vaccines and hasn't been anywhere

He may have had some poop in his colon from before he got sick that are coming out- the blockage could be in the stomach or small intestines, so if there was already food in the intestinal tract past that spot, it will be able to pass normally. How long has his problem been going on? If you press on his belly is there discomfort? Do his gums look pink and moist? If you pull up the skin on his back/between the shoulder blades does it go right back to normal or does it take a few seconds to return?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just palpitated his stomach , no reaction, gums are pink and moist, skin went right back after pulling it back. He threw up a little bile yesterday morning, thought his stomach was empty, he ate a small amount not like normal. drank water, threw up a little after eating small amount of dinner.. was fine till 3:30 this morning threw up a little more bile, has done it 2x since then. He will drink small amounts of water. Do you think I can wait to get him into my vet tomorrow morn? I live in a remote area and vet is closed today. Again no temp 101.5.

Because he is a young dog, it is always safest for him to be seen because we do worry about dehydration. If he is able to keep fluids down then that is less worrisome. Obviously without being able to examine him myself I can't tell you if he is dehydrated but the things you are telling me about his skin/gums/temperature are good signs. If you are not able to take him in today (which as I said, is safest, but I know depending on where you live not always possible), then I would wait until he has gone 6 hours with no vomit, then offer small amounts of fluid- water or pedialyte. If no vomiting for 2hours after that, can try SMALL amounts of plain rice and plain chicken or turkey breast or lean ground meat- want something bland- no spices or fat- here is an article on vomiting with more details:

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping answer your question. Best of luck and thank you!

Hello- just checking to see how your pup was doing.

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian