Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 70lb lab just ate approx 10 - 10 mg of celexa - should I

Customer Question

My 70lb lab just ate approx 10 - 10 mg of celexa - should I be concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he took the pills?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 10 minutes - no peroxide, but it would take me 10 minutes to go get
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I go do that?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I would move quickly and get some peroxide 3% to try to induce vomiting. This is what you can do:

1- Give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- Please let me know if she vomits. I will be here for the next hour.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After three doses of peroxide, no vomiting. He was running and playing outside, and now laying on the floor
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Is he laying lethargic or resting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a little sleepy - resting
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it seems like she is one of the dogs that won't vomit with peroxide. The next step is to consider having her checked by ER vet and they can induce vomiting with a medication called apomorphine. If you don't go to ER vet observe her for the next 24 hour for the following symptoms: Hyperactivity, tremors, vocalization, agitation, etc. If you notice any of these symptoms I would have her checked by ER veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter