Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 12 lb dog just ate my 20 pound dogs dosage of bemazepril

Customer Question

My 12 lb dog just ate my 20 pound dogs dosage of bemazepril and novox should I take him to an emergency vet, or induce vomiting?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't do anything but "watchful wait". The dose of benazepril should be well tolerated as are all the drugs in the ACE inhibitor class of drugs. Carprofen (Novox) doesn't become toxic until 9 mg/lb are exceeded at which time gastrointestinal ulceration might arise. I'm conjecturing that Brodie ingested 25 mg of Novox or ~2 mg/lb of that drug. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Novox was half a 75 mg tablet so ~37 mg, and benazepril was at 5mg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was what I needed to know, thank you for your time this Thanksgiving!

Thank you for the additional information. 37 mg/12 lb = 3 mg/lb. Brodie will remain safe. Administering an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb and repeated in 12 hours should afford Brodie protection. 5 mg of benazepril in a 12 lb dog is about twice the maximum dose I would administer but it will be well-tolerated unless Brodie suffers from a pre-existing heart condition in which hypotension is a significant risk. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

You're quite welcome. My best to Brodie! I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's doing fine today, for a little while he was a sad puppy for a little while till we got him some pepcid like you recommended. Last night and today though he was back to his old self, which is basically being a greedy chow hound. Were going to make sure he's separated from our older dog when it's time to give him his pills just in case. We put his pills in greenie pill pockets which he normally loves, think we got a different flavor this last time on accident because he just left them uneaten, which brodie took to his advantage.Thank you again for your help.

Thank you for the good update! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

Hi John,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Brodie. How is everything going?