Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I am baby sitting my on dachshund and we were playing with a

Customer Question
pull toy he loves to...
I am baby sitting my on dachshund and we were playing with a pull toy he loves to fight with and he broke a tooth. It is on the right lower side of his mouth and barely hanging there right at the gum line.
Can we pull the rest of the way off or does he need vet attention and how quickly?
(tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day) We are in Chandler, AZ.......Terry
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry this happened on your watch! How old is Blue so I can determine if this is a baby or adult tooth?

Using this photo can you tell me which tooth it is, from left to right behind the canine (big tooth) being premolar 1 to 4?

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/pregastric/labdoglatman.jpg

If it is just the crown it will fall out on its own likely in the next 24 hours but the root is still under the gumline in the bone so Blue should visit his regular vet when they open again to form a plan and removal of the root. When the root is left behind and the crown is fractured off, it leaves the pulp and nerve supply vulnerable to pain and infection so it will need to be addressed

In the meanwhile please moisten his dry food for 10+ minutes and make sure it is lukewarm and no more tug of war or chewies until he can be evaluated

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I am online another 30 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Good morning, how is Blue doing today? I would love an update when you are able. Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with or clarify today.

If you are satisfied with my responses please rate at the top of the screen with the stars. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Terry,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Blue. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian