Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 9.5 week labradoodle puppy just swallowed a 6-inch

Customer Question

My 9.5 week labradoodle puppy just swallowed a 6-inch rawhide. She had been chewing it for only about 15 minutes. We noticed she did a slight gag and then the rawhide was gone. She has never swallowed any part of them before and we always had taken them away when they got "mushy". What should we do now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup has given you a bit of a scare this morning! I'll do my best to help.

Right now, you have two options: either head to the nearest well-equipped emergency room to see if they can pass an endoscope (camera) down into that esophagus and tummy to retrieve the rawhide. I would lean toward this if she's having any difficulty swallowing, excessive salivation, seems lethargic or ill in any way. I would also consider this if it was a fairly large rawhide size in relation to her body size. If she's a bigger dog, it's less likely to cause an issue.

Rawhides are digestible, which is one of the reasons that I like them. My dad is a vet, I was raised in our family hospital, and I've rarely (I can't say never, though) seen a rawhide cause an issue. If heading to the ER or your regular vet isn't an option, another option would be to "wait and see". I don't recommend this if she's having ANY vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, or acting ill. You'd be surprised at what I've seen either digest or pass through these guys - sometimes things that I'd never imagined could go through come out just fine. With a rawhide, I'd expect it to digest in the stomach and not come through whole, but again there's no guarantee. The only way to know for sure that it won't cause an issue is to get it out preemptively before it has a chance to cause a problem.

I don't typically recommend induction of vomiting for items that large, as they have the potential to cause significant irritation or perforation of the stomach or esophagus during the muscle spasms involved in vomiting.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara