Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 5 yr old Chihuahua is bleeding & she is nit in heat, She

Customer Question
has a red swollen area...
My 5 yr old Chihuahua is bleeding & she is nit in heat, She has a red swollen area around the outside edge of her vagina. She is not spaded.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for sweet Bella is that she may be suffering from a Pyometra. This is a uterine infection that can cause some bleeding with pus if the cervix is open. This occurs within 2-3 weeks after her heat cycle and can be life threatening if not treated. Take Bella to your vet for an exam. This is not normal and will require testing to know for sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian