Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just removed a rock yesterday from out 2 yr old golden and

Customer Question
this afternoon she started slowing...
I just removed a rock yesterday from out 2 yr old golden and this afternoon she started slowing her normal pace. Tonight when my wife got home she didn't do her normal run and greet at the door. It looked like she was limping and she was not able to walk normal. She has been at my feet for the better part of the night and when I get up she doesn't move unlike normally where she follows me around where ever I go. Any thoughts on what could be causing this symptoms/issues?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If the rock came from Kinley's paw, this must have caused so much bruising that she is a great deal of pain. The best thing you can do for her now is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 5-7 days. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing her discomfort and get her past this. It is unlikely that there is any broken bone but if this does not resolve within a few days, it is best to have your vet examine her to know for sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Not rock...a tick. Autocorrect changed it and I didn't catch it. We noticed a abnormality about 3 days ago and I thought it was just loose skin. Then I told my wife about it and she got the tweezers and told me to remove it. So it has been removed for the last day or two now but the tick was pretty swollen so it was on there for a bit.

Oh my....that is different...sorry! Since the tick was engorged, it has probably caused enough discomfort in this area to cause tehse symptoms. I would also recommend the aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs and it will help to apply a hot compress to this area every 4-6 hrs to help draw any infection to the surface. The tick can spread Lymes disease and Erhlichia but this is too early for symptoms to show up. Certainly, if this continues, have your vet test Kinley but the odds of this are very low with only one exposure.

Thank you for the responses. Kinley was still limping around today so we took her in. Come to find out she has a hairline fracture in her left leg. 6-8 weeks of crate and walking bathroom/eating trips.

Oh my....i guess this has nothing to do with the tick that you found. I am so happy that Kinley is being treated but she is nto going to be happy with the long period of immobility...poor thing!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Hi Eric,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kinley. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian