Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a bosron- rat mix weigh 25-30 lbs she ate about 10

Customer Question
cherry ludens cough drops will...
My dog is a bosron- rat mix weigh 25-30 lbs she ate about 10 cherry ludens cough drops will this hurt her
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both this evening

From what I have reviewed of this cough drop there is no xylitol nor benzocaine is this correct?

While many times cough drop exposures will amount to nothing more than gastrointestinal upset, the drops can contain ingredients that create more serious consequences.

Most cough drops contain sugar, menthol, eucalyptus oil, colors, and flavors – ingredients that all may cause gastrointestinal upset. Obstruction may be a concern as well, depending on the number of drops ingested, the size of the pet and whether wrappers were also ingested.

Infrequently, xylitol may be found in cough drops. Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia and possible liver injury depending on the amount present in the cough drops and how many were ingested.

Another ingredient of concern is benzocaine. Benzocaine most often causes gastrointestinal upset; however, benzocaine is metabolized into compounds which are capable of causing methemoglobinemia at high doses.

Being a local anesthetic, benzocaine will numb the throat when swallowed or the mouth if chewed. This can pose a risk for aspiration, particularly in those patients that may be more susceptible to aspiration.

So we can elect to induce vomiting to remove the drops from her stomach and minimize the gi side effects the next 24-48 hours with 1 tbsp 3% hydrogen peroxide or simply elect to monitor as long as there is no xylitol nor benzocaine within the product

If you elect to monitor please no food tonight, water in moderation is alright

- Pepcid 10 mg every 12 hours x 3 days to settle the stomach
- Bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken the next few days which is bland yet bulking

If there is any gi upset then it should pass in the next few days but if there is continued vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the vomit or diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite please consider a veterinary exam

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 15 minutes this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

The drops do not contain any of the things that you mentioned. Thank you so much. We will keep an eye on her and get her to the vet if she is not doing well. Thanks again.

You are very welcome, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today

If you are satisfied with my responses please rate with the stars on the top of the screen so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you and best holiday wishes to you and your family!

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you both to see how your Boston is doing after ingesting the cough drops yesterday? Was there any gi upset? I would love an update when you are able and if you could please rate with the stars on the top of the screen or type out your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat I would appreciate it so I can be compensated for my time.

Thank you!

Hi ***** *****,
I'm just following up on our conversation about ***** *****. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian