Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 yr old spayed female is scheduled to have bladder stone

Customer Question
My 9 yr old spayed...
My 9 yr old spayed female ***** ***** is scheduled to have bladder stone surgery Dec 1 but tonight an hour after her antibiotic she began urinating pretty much straight blood again. Is it safe to wait or does she need an emergency surgery?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry that your JRT is having this issue. I know it is terrible seeing her urinating this much blood but as long as she is urinating without straining we can try to increase her water intake until you can consult with your veterinarian tomorrow.

Adding water to her dry food, flavoring her water (no salt broth for example) and talk to your veterinarian about fluids under the skin to flush out her bladder and relieve pain and bleeding until surgery day.

But if she is straining and panting, unable to rest comfortably we are looking at more of an emergency surgery option. Do you know how large the stone is and how many she has in her bladder?

The more water we can help her take in the more we will "flush" out her bladder to provide relief and delay the surgery and as long as she is comfortable (in a boy this would be more urgent), not straining nor panting this can at least wait until you can talk to your veterinarian tomorrow. The likelihood is that her bladder became more empty and some stones are very sharp in the bladder causing trauma. So keeping the bladder more full will help reduce risk of pain and bleeding until surgery day

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just got message from vet saying no more food or water tonight and it will likely be emergency surgery in the morning

Ugh, I'm so sorry. I know you likely wanted to avoid surgery before the holidays. Is she clinical for any of the other symptoms I mentioned?

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you both to see how your JRT is doing after surgery today? I would love an update when you are able and if you could please rate with the stars on the top of the screen or type out your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat I would appreciate it so I can be compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian