Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 15 yr old lab mix has chronic pancreatitis and spinal

Customer Question
inflammation. Having a spinal...
My 15 yr old lab mix has chronic pancreatitis and spinal inflammation. Having a spinal flare up today and having trouble moving. He takes blood pressure mess, lasix, and anti inflammatory meds. What can I give him to make him feel better and get him to eat? Thinking about mixing a little plain yogurt in his food (blue buffalo weight control). Is that okay?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Jack is not eating well. I can give you a few ideas for tonight but if this is not improving it might require prescription medications to increase his appetite and stimulate his interest in food:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours about 15 minutes before food trial
- Plain white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken are great to stimulate the appetite yet bland on the stomach. Other options are jarred baby foods (meat varieties) which will both be low in fat to reduce risk of relapse of pancreatitis
- You certainly can supplement his meals with 1 tbsp plain yogurt twice daily to maintain his bacterial flora of the intestinal tract

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions today. If he is on a nonsteroidal or steroid for his inflammation unfortunately we are limited in what we can give him over the counter for pain because other nonsteroidals will be contraindicated with the prescriptions. If you have tramadol (ultram) available that is an option but it will cause sedation

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I am online another 30 minutes if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and Jack to see how things went after your question lat night. Was he able to settle down? Were you able to get him to eat?

I would love an update when you are able and if you could please rate with the stars on the top of the screen or type out your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat I would appreciate it so I can be compensated for my time.

Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian