Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Ive just noticed my dog has 2 inverted nipples theyve gone

Customer Question

Ive just noticed my dog has 2 inverted nipples theyve gone black shes just turnt a year old and have never seen it before she is half rott half mastiff xx
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Lola.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just want help my dog is insured and with a vet but its 1 am here and want to know how urgent i need to get her to the vet
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Right. I understand. Glad you're there to explain the situation to me.

I'll start by saying that developing inverted nipples as a dog grows up is very common. It is also very common for them to turn black or accumulate black crusty debris around them.

That means nothing you've described sounds particularly alarming to me...

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Is Lola acting fine otherwise?

No changes in eating and drinking or going to the bathroom habits?

No redness, swelling, pain, or discharge around the nipples?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i book vets appointment x
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
normal she has growled a couple of times but i think its because she is a bit jealous of the kittens shes a gentle dog its like she wants her own way nothing more and she growled like that just before she came on her first heat too xx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My bar maid said she was sick but she keeps eatingvthe cat food it looked like her sausage i gave her only a little bit x
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that extra information. In regards ***** ***** you should book a vet's appointment, I'll answer as follows:

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Nothing you've said makes me think a veterinary appointment is necessary, but I *always* tell people, "If you're worried about it, go see the vet. Then you can find out for sure exactly what's going on and what or if anything needs to be done about it."

While nothing you're describing sounds abnormal, it may be that you'd rather be safe than sorry.

If you'd like to upload a photo of these nipples, I'd be happy to a look. Use the paperclip icon.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there?

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you tonight?

Are you trying to upload a photo?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

(rating option enabled)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with your dog today. If this change with her nipples is normal, you can rest assured they will continue to look pretty much the same from day to day. If there is a problem, however, it will continue to get worse and you will start to notice additional symptoms like a spreading rash, redness, swelling, or pain.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have additional questions.

Thanks, ***** ***** your day!