Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dogs been on Atopica since June, and still gets flare ups

Customer Question

My dogs been on Atopica since June, and still gets flare ups of itchy redness all around his mouth, and his armpits and entire stomach, he's also now getting several localized areas he wants to chew at on his tail, the base of butt and one on his side. We've tried everything, food, Benadryl, prescription shampoos, conditioners, other allergy meds, the Atopica has worked the best for the longest time without it turning into a bacterial infection which requires antibiotics, but what can I do for him especially around his mouth where he will just lick anything off?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, we can see flare ups of itchiness with Atopica. Whenever this occurs, we need to look for underlying infections (bacteria or yeast) and treat those first. If we find no sign of infection (checking a skin cytology under the microscope), then we can use short courses of steroids to control the ongoing itch. It's also important to be careful about foods and fleas, as the itch caused by these allergies is not always well controlled with Atopica.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

It would be best to have him evaluated by your regular vet to check his skin for infection as I described. Based on those results, we will be able to either treat the pyoderma or start additional medication to control the itch.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.