Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 month old dog (14 lbs) started to eat raccoon poop on a

Customer Question
Hi my 9 month old...
Hi my 9 month old dog (14 lbs) started to eat raccoon poop on a walk. I told her to leave it and she did, but had some in her mouth, I wiped what I could out of her mouth, but there was still some in there, and she was happily smacking her lips. I gave her a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide, after some food and she will not throw up. Help! What to do. Give her more. Give up
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I know this is terribly gross (my dogs do things like this all the time unfortunately) but there are few diseases that she would get from ingesting the feces. I wouldn't worry about inducing vomiting but advise contacting your veterinarian about using a broad spectrum dewormer (drontal plus) to ensure she wasn't exposed to anything parasitic.

You really shouldn't need an exam, just call and say you would like to deworm her as a precaution.

Please make sure you are washing your hands regularly for the next few days until you deworm her, cleaning up her stool in the backyard after bowel movements for those few days and you both shouldn't have any issues from this mishap

Good luck to you both, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance, I am online another 10 minutes before exiting for a bit and returning this evening...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian