Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Poshdogkneebrace a good brace ccl ligament tear

Customer Question
Poshdogkneebrace a good brace for...
Poshdogkneebrace a good brace for partial ccl ligament tear
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Karing, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian

Hi there,

I'm sorry that your dog Hershey has a partial CCL tear. I don't recommend braces in these situations. In fact, the vast majority of veterinary orthopedic surgeons don't advocate use of braces for CCL tears. They are somewhat cumbersome to put on and keep on a dog and they aren't inexpensive. More importantly, braces do not represent a long term solution except perhaps in very old patients that are not surgical candidates. The degree of joint instability during periods when the brace is not attached is sufficient to induce arthritis. Your dog Hershey is very young and I would urge you to opt for surgical correction earlier rather than later in order to get the best outcome (i.e. before arthritis is severe). This is a link to the American College of Veterinary Surgeon's website where there is an article about CCL tears that is very informative:

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/cranial-cruciate-ligament-disease

Until you can arrange for surgery (as soon as possible), I recommend restricted activity and use of glucosamine supplements such as Dasuquin by Nutramax as well as use of pain medication. Weight management is important as well and it is useful to be mindful of the potential for weight gain during the restricted activity required before and after surgery. Please note, about 50% of dogs tear the other CCL at some point in their lives and this is believed to be a genetic tendency and not the result of trauma in most dogs.

I hope that the information I provided has beenhelpful. Please remember to selectREPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additionalinformation. It is my goal to provideyou with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedbackrating. If you received all theinformation you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Dr. Karing

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian