Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

12-14 year old Chi/Min Pin. Paralyzed waist level. Can't use

Customer Question
12-14 year old Chi/Min Pin...
12-14 year old Chi/Min Pin. Paralyzed waist level. Can't use hind legs. Needs assist to irinate. Can dedicate on her but randomly.
X2 wks ... Excessive pacing, wide open mouth panting and licking me incessantly. Refuses water. Sometimes seems disoriented. Responds to "kisses" but not name or commands.
Gums normal. Teeth normal. No response to pressing on front limbs, palpitation of stomach. Will drink but does not care to eat.
Lasts about a half hour and then all is well.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I hope I can help you and Derby this evening.

First- why is she paralyzed? How long has she been this way? How does she pace (scooting, cart, etc)?

How long has she been having these episodes? Did they start recently? Am I reading your history correctly that they happen about 2 times weekly?

Based on your description of the episode, I would wonder about partial seizures. These are common in animals that have suffered head trauma (like being hit by a car). They can also start from brain inflammation such as meningitis (immune system problem in dogs, not contagious), or cancer in the brain.

Ideally an examination by a neurologist and possibly an MRI of her head and spinal column would be the next steps.

I would also ensure that her blood work (blood sugar, thyroid, bile acids and calcium levels) are all normal because these metabolic changes can cause seizure-like episodes.

If all of those above things are no options, another choice would be to consider a trial on seizure medication. The best choice for this is Keppra. It starts working 30 minutes after taking it, lasts for 8 hours and then is out of their system. You could do a 3-4 week trial with this medication and see if it has any effects.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

I'm just following up on our conversation about Derby. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian